Counting, 1, 2, 3 is one of the first thing we’re taught as little children. At first counting is just a repetition of sounds, but eventually we understand, in a limited way, what the numbers mean. I had an experience recently that got me thinking more deeply about numbers and their meaning. But first I need to set the scene:
Recently I had the good fortune of having my Happiness Cards featured in the Science of Mind magazine (August issue) on page 108. I thought that was pretty cool, but when I showed it to a friend he said, “Wow! The number 108 is a sacred number.” Even cooler! He got my attention, and I wanted to know more. Where did I go? Google, of course. Here are a few interesting facts I turned up:
- Number 108 is a sacred number to several Eastern religions, among them Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and certain yoga practices.
- Because the number 108 is considered a complete circle, or the ultimate end of an event, malas or rosaries with 108 beads are worn by Buddhists to count mantras. Zen priests wear bracelets with the same number.
- One hundred eight Sun Salutations are performed by yoga practitioners during the spring equinox. (makes me tired to think about that.)
- There are 108 energy lines converging in our bodies to form the heart chakra.
Things got even more interesting when I looked at how the number 108 appears in astronomy and mathematics:
- The distance between the earth and sun is 108 times the sun’s diameter, and the distance between the moon and earth is 108 times the moon’s diameter.
- In a mathematical a context 108 is arrived at by (1x1x2x2x3x3x3=108) or 1 to the 1st power times 2 to the second power times 3 to the 3rd power equals 108.
- In the Sanskrit alphabet there are 54 letters. Each letter has a masculine and feminine form, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.
- In Islam the number 108 is sometimes used to refer to God.
So what does that have to do with my endorsement appearing on page 108? Maybe nothing at all, but I like to think it’s foretelling great things to come. SoM_Aug2015_Happiness_Cards